Dysmenorrhea is one of the most common ailments women have, making it extremely difficult to carry on normally with everyday life. We now know that CBD and menstrual cramps can go hand in hand: CBD especially CBD oil might decrease Menstrual Cramps and is a wonderful natural product with many benefits.
Menstrual Cramps/Dysmenorrhea/Period Pain: Explained
Dysmenorrhea is a term used for period pain or menstrual cramps. Eighty percent of women experience dysmenorrhea sometime during their productive years, and 5% to 10 % of women have severe, ongoing menstrual pain, which disrupts their daily lives.
The endometrium, which is the uterus lining, thickens, getting the uterus ready to receive a fertilized egg. Suppose fertilization does not occur; the uterus contacts and sheds the endometrium in the form of menstruation. This contracting of the uterus causes dysmenorrhea.
In some cases, severe menstrual cramps can indicate a more serious underlying condition. For example, if a middle-aged or premenopausal woman has sudden severe period pains with excessive bleeding, it could mean a more serious medical condition that needs treatment. There are different conditions; for example, fibroids form in the uterus or the uterus lining. This condition can cause heavy bleeding and excruciating pain. When this occurs, a gynecologist may prescribe hormone treatment or a hysterectomy, which is the removal of the uterus. Hormone treatment stops the growth of fibroids.
Having chronic period pain and cramps can lead a person to become dysfunctional. Menstrual pain can be a dull throbbing to a more severe throbbing pain or cramping in the lower abdomen. This pain may extend into your lower back and legs. It may start one to two days before and peak 24 hours after the onset of the period, subsiding when menstruation slows down or stops. During this time, the pain may make you unable to concentrate, and you may even feel weak and slightly ill.
Other symptoms which may occur:
- Loose stools
General Treatments for Menstrual Cramps
- You could place a heated pad on your pelvic area or your lower back.
- You could take a warm bath.
- You could take anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen.
- You could massage your abdomen.
- Lying down in a fetal position may help relieve the pain.
- Reducing salt, sugar, alcohol, and caffeine intake are always advisable to minimize abdomen bloating.
- Eat light, nutritious meals.
- Find time to do regular exercise.
- Take additional supplements, which help with menstrual pain: Vitamin B, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Omega 3, Magnesium, and Calcium.
What is CBD & Exactly How It Can Help With Menstrual Pain?
Cannabinoids are known as CBD, which is an active component found in the hemp plant. It is one of over 100 cannabinoids. CBD comes in the form of oil and is extracted from the hemp plant and used in many CBD products.
Our bodies have their own endocannabinoid system called ECS. So our bodies make their own cannabinoid molecules. CBD binds to proteins or receptors located in the cells of the body. The nervous system contains two cannabinoid receptors, CP1 and CP2, which CBD does not bind strongly. Instead, they bind to other receptors, for example, serotonin receptors. CBD oil is used to balance our endocannabinoid system and helps with our immune system, inflammation, and pain in the body. In this way, CBD oil helps reduce menstrual cramping and pain during menstruation. Pain also causes anxiety, and CBD oil is a great relaxant.
What Experts Say About CBD & Menstrual Cramps?
Dr. June Chin, who is a physician, rates CBD products highly. She says cannabis products, like CBD oil, are like superfoods. They take away inflammation, pain and they are muscle relaxants without making you high or sedated. With under 0.3% to no THC in the product, there is no high effect.
She started taking cannabis for a rare medical condition, where she was in constant pain. This pain affected her work, and a doctor introduced her to cannabis. She was so delighted with the results that she studied all she knew about cannabis and CBD products.
Dr. Chin says the heart of CBD products is their anti-inflammatory properties, and the heart of all disease or pain starts with inflammation. She reckons that CBD oils, gummies, or topical creams help with menstrual cramps and pain due to inflammatory properties. She uses these products on her clients.
She is soon to have a webinar for women’s health. (check out the video below)
Dr. Dani Gordon, an integrated medicine specialist, prescribes CBD oils for all her patients with chronic pain issues. She says that the most important system in our bodies is the endocannabinoid system, regulating chronic pain. CDB interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system and helps reduce chronic pain.
- Whiting: Whiting did not know about CBD until she moved to California in 2017. She suffered from severe menstrual cramps and found significant benefits in using CBD products. She used tinctures and gummies, only used trustworthy products and brands. CBD aided my journey of health and self-growth.
- Masson: Mason found that CBD helped reduce her period pains.
Emma: Emma used CBD oil for menstrual pain and loved it. She used a sublingual formula in oil and a topical cream, which quickly reduced headaches and other discomforts.
Becca: Throughout high school, Becca received doctor’s notes due to her menstrual cramping and pain. It got worse while in college, as she experienced very little sleep and had an iron deficiency. She tried OTC remedies, hot pads until she decided to use CBD suppositories. They worked, and her cramps disappeared. She said that it was terrific.
Lara: Lara has endometriosis, and her periods have always been excruciating. It caused her to miss school, work, and events. She started using CBD products with great success.
Simona: Simona, a 24-year old model from North London, complained that not only did she suffer from extensive period pain, but bad headaches as well. Over the years, she missed school, university, and work due to extreme menstrual pain. Simona started taking CBD oil and says that her periods are more regular, pain-free. If she starts getting a headache or pain, she takes more CBD oil, and the pain stops.
CBD Dosage & Usage Info for Menstrual Cramps
CBD products come in various forms, oils, gummies, capsules, and topical cream. View our general dosage guide for CBD products.
|Type of CBD Product||Starting dosage||Normal dosage||Other Dosages||Usage|
|CBD Oils||10 mg per day||15 to 25 mg once or twice a day.||10 to 50 mg per dose||Under the tongue|
|CBD Gummies||10 mg per day||15 to 25 mg once or twice a day.||10 mg to 50 mg per dose||Orally|
|CBD Capsules||10 mg per day||15 to 25 mg once or twice a day.||10 mg to 50 mg per dose||Orally|
|CBD Topical Cream||Use with oils or gummies||Rub on the painful area||Rub on the painful area||Rub on the painful area|
A Word of Caution About Using CBD
The FDA does not regulate CBD products, wherefore it is essential for consumers to do extensive research before buying any CBD product or brand. It is essential to know that the products’ company is sending its products for third-party lab testing. In this report, there will be an analysis of what is in the product. The best product is a pure product with no allergens. Should a product not be tested or you cannot find a third-party lab test result, you will not know whether the product is THC-free or whether the product has under 0.3% THC.
It is improbable to overdose using CBD products, even when taking high doses. However, we do not know what damage can be caused by going overboard, which could cause an adverse reaction, such as liver damage.
Tips for Getting CBD for Menstrual Cramps
- Your doctor should be consulted before taking CBD products.
- Do extensive online research and find reputable companies selling CBD products. There are many off-the-shelf products, which may not be good.
- Check their different products and their CBD purity and quantity.
- Make sure the product you plan to buy has third-party testing results.
- Check all ingredients on the third-party test results. You want an all-natural product.
- Choose a product that suits your needs. Oils are convenient because they are placed under the tongue and work within 30 minutes, while gummies may take longer, approximately one to one and a half hours before working.
- It is also helpful to look at the company return policy to check whether you can return the product if it fails not to work.
- Choose a company with a website with a lot of information—their hemp growing process, the extraction method, etc.
What Other Conditions CBD Can Help With?
When taking CBD for period pain and cramps, we know from reviews and testimonials that it works effectively. People have been using CBD products for pain for many years as a natural option instead of pharmaceutical products. They decrease inflammation in the body, which is the root of most illnesses.