A solid night’s sleep, sadly, does not come easy for many individuals. And with the dangerous side-effects associated with many prescription medications, more people than ever are seeking out natural methods to help them get some much-needed rest..
Studies show that CBD can naturally treat insomnia because of its ability to relax the body. But how, exactly, do CBD and cannabinoids do this?
Understanding CBD and Cannabinoids
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a cannabidiol found in cannabis. CBD, along with THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, are two of the most common in a list of over 100 other compounds in cannabis. But unlike THC, CBD will not cause users to feel a euphoric high. Interestingly, new research is showing that low doses of THC can have some beneficial effects. To date, 33 states have legalized medicinal marijuana, and 50 states legalized CBD with varying laws and regulations, and more expected to do so over time.
All 100 of the cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system that is located within the brain. The endocannabinoid system is responsible for regulating various body functions including mood, pain, sleep, memory, appetite, reproductive function, metabolism, and immune function. In order to do this, the endocannabinoid system’s receptors synergistically work with CBD to bring about relief in those areas that are not functioning as they should.
It is said that CBD can be used to treat conditions such as:
- Migraines or Headaches
- Chronic Pain
- Blood Pressure Irregularities
- Epileptic Seizures
- Some Neurological Disorders
- Cancer-related Symptoms
More research, however, is still needed in order to make these claims valid. Despite this fact, a host of individuals across the United States are giving positive testimonials that support the regular use of CBD in the treatment of the medical conditions listed above. So, it comes as no surprise that the number of both cannabis and CBD dispensaries is growing not only in the United States, but also all over the world. CBD is even being used on dogs, cats, and other types of domesticated animals.
Even though there could be more pages written about the many benefits of CBD, this article will specifically focus on how CBD is used to treat insomnia and other sleep-related issues. For example, can CBD be used to help you sleep? If it can, then what is the best, most effective way to use it?
Looking at the Research on CBD and Sleep
There are a few promising studies out there that suggest that CBD can help people obtain a better night’s sleep. But first, it’s important to try to understand why you might be having issues sleeping so that you can gain some insight into whether or not CBD will be the most effective treatment for you.
There are a multitude of reasons why individuals have issues sleeping. Some common causes of insomnia are:
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Chronic Pain
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Medications that interrupt the body’s natural sleep-wake cycle
A good rule of thumb is that if you are experiencing trouble sleeping, then stay away from drinking caffeine late in the evening. Likewise, if your mattress or bedding is no longer comfortable or is on the older side, then consider replacing it or them as soon as financially possible.
If regularly taking CBD helps relieve some of the pain and irritations related to the symptoms listed above, then you can be sure that it will also help you relax enough to get some solid, restful, sleep. In fact, research suggests that CBD works with the receptors that affect the sleep-wake cycle. A logical thought, therefore, is that if CBD can help calm anxiety, pain, depression, and other symptoms, then it is quite possible that it can also improve issues associated with poor or improper sleep.
How Does CBD Help to Improve Sleep?
Even with the myriad of studies already published showing how CBD and other cannabinoids can improve sleep, more research still needs to be conducted.
Interestingly, some studies on CBD’s effect on insomnia suggest that those who used CBD were able to fall asleep easier. Even with this evidence, some scientists still feel that CBD’s effectiveness against insomnia is all due to a placebo effect. Despite these naysayers, there are a host of other scientists who wholeheartedly believe in CBD’s ability to interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system to not only improve sleep but also other medical conditions as well.
Sadly, research on CBD is still in its early stages. Therefore, no guarantees can be made about CBD’s improvement in sleep and other medical conditions. However, there are thousands of individuals all across the United States and throughout the world who can and do attest to the healing potential of CBD. The bottom line in all of this is in order to see if CBD will work for your insomnia, it’s best to do your research and try it out for yourself.
How We Compiled the Best CBD Oil for Sleep List:
In order to write this article, we first put together a long list of CBD oil brands that are available in today’s market. Thanks to the recent rise in CBD’s popularity, the list was extremely lengthy..
Next, we individually researched each brand by looking at customer reviews, how each company sourced and produced its CBD extracts, third-party laboratory testing reports, and lots more.
Based on what we found, we eliminated brands from our list until we were then left with a few companies that met our tough criteria.
We then narrowed these brands down until we were left with the top 5 names in CBD that are listed further down into this article.
Finally, this list would not be what it is had we not read documented input from respected CBD journalists, niche experts, as well as real CBD users.
What We Looked For:
In cutting down our list of CBD brands, we reviewed every company and its products for:
- How well it tackled sleep issues. Most importantly, we specifically needed to see how effective each brand was at tackling insomnia.
- Hemp sources.
- The company’s processing facilities and if they met stringent FDA guidelines.
- Whether the products are made of full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, or isolate extracts.
- The THC levels were left in the final products once they made it to store shelves.
- Whether the company lab-tested its products and made those results available to customers.
- Dosage and usage instructions that the brand gave to its customers.
- The company’s overall reputation and customer reviews.
- Whether the CBD brand offered conclusive, trustworthy, vetted information about CBD — what it is, how it works, its benefits, etc.
In closely looking at these variables, we then narrowed our list down to the following five brands.
Best CBD Oils for Sleep and Insomnia
Although currently tons of brands out there who sell CBD oil and other CBD products, the lack of misinformation is very much up there in the mountains. However, here we listed the best of the bests CBD oil for your sleep problems and insomnia-related issues currently found in the vast majority of America.
FAB was first founded in 2017 with a mission to create reliable, quality, CBD products for everyone and anyone to enjoy. All of FAB CBD’s products are formulated according to the company’s highest standards. The company’s products are made from the best organic hemp that is grown in Colorado. That hemp is then made into top-shelf extract through a clean, solvent-free CO2 extraction process. Their Oil offers the best in quality to be used for sleep and insomnia.
- Variety: FAB offers CBD oils in many strengths, a topical CBD cream, gummies, and much more.
- sources: FAB sources its hemp from Colorado to create the extract used in all of its products.
- Testing: All of FAB’s products are tested using third-party laboratory ProVerde Laboratories.
- Ingredients: Organically Grown Hemp Extract, Full Spectrum CBD blend, flavoring comes from natural sources, Terpenes, Medium Chain Triglycerides
- Superior, delicious tasting oil flavors in strengths of 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 2400mg.
- Best-rated CBD oil.
- Amazing customer service.
- Secure and fast shipping.
- Vegan superfood options available.
- Free shipping on all orders over $89.
- No shipping to Canada or the UK.
- No options for auto-ship or subscription memberships for regular orders.
NuLeaf Naturals was founded in 2014. The company’s CBD oils are made from organic Colorado hemp using Co2 extraction methods. Each one of its products is third-party lab tested for purity and quality. Customers can receive lab results upon request.
- Many Oil Offerings: NuLeaf has an array of high-grade CBD oils in different sizes and strengths.
- Organic: The company’s products are made from 100% organic hemp.
- Fast Shipping: Once ordered, products are shipped out fairly quickly.
- Ingredients: USDA Certified Organic Hemp Oil, Full Spectrum Hemp Extract
- NuLeaf offers CBD oil in strengths of 240mg, 725mg, 1450mg, 2425mg, and 4850mg.
- All products are made from full-spectrum hemp extract.
- NuLeaf offers free 2-3 day shipping within the United States.
- The company offers a 30-day return policy.
- Not many flavor options are available.
- Products are expensive.
- Only oils are offered and not edibles, topicals, vapes, creams, or other products.
- Even though the company has third-party lab testing, customers will have to call NuLeaf directly to obtain those results.
Colorado-based Elixinol was founded by Paul Benhaim. The company’s mission is to manufacture and sell high-quality CBD products throughout the world. Benhaim, also a well-known CBD hemp oil activist, also uses his brand to host charity events.
- Innovation: Along with quality CBD oils, the company also sells CBD balms, capsules, liposomes, applicators, and powders.
- Price: Products are reasonably priced.
- Certification: Their tincture products are USDA certified
- Ingredients: Full Spectrum CBD, MCT oil, BCP
- The company has a large product range.
- Flavors are all-natural and infused into products by an in-house formulator.
- Elixinol offers a 30-day return policy.
- Lengthy waiting and shipping times.
- The company uses stringent in-house testing and does not at all use a third-party lab.
CBDistillery was first founded by natives of Colorado. The company has a long-standing mission to produce high-quality, fairly-priced, CBD products from United States-grown hemp. With over 26k+ verified reviews and testimonials, CBDdistillery is one of the most well-known brands in the world of CBD especially in the #CBDMOVEMENT™
- Selection: CBDistillery offers a large selection of full-spectrum oils, creams, vapes, capsules, and isolates.
- Clean products: All of CBDistillery’s products are full-spectrum, non-GMO, third-party lab tested, and US Hemp Authority certified.
- Testing: All of the products that CBDistillerry sells are third-party lab tested
- Ingredients: Fractionated Coconut Oil (MCT) and Full Spectrum CBD Hemp Extract (Aerial Parts)
- The products are third-party lab tested and results are available to customers by scanning the QR codes on whatever products they order.
- The majority of the company’s products are full-spectrum with some isolated offerings.
- Products are available online and in stores.
- Reported shipping delays.
- Oil droppers tend to be flimsy, which means there is a potential waste of CBD oil.
- Company contact information is not easily able to find on the website.
CBDPure first came onto the scene in 2016. The company’s main goal is to make and sell high-quality CBD oil. All of the hemp that CBDPure uses is organic and sourced from Colorado. Each batch of products that the company makes goes through third-party lab testing.
- Oil Strengths: The company offers oils in three different strengths as well as softgels.
- Testing: CBDPure has all of its products tested by a third-party lab. Those results are then made available to customers.
- Clean Products: All products are crafted from organic hemp and extracted using clean CO2 extraction methods.
- Ingredients: Natural and organic hemp oil with less than 0.3% THC
- The company offers consumers a 90-day money-back guarantee.
- Products are also fairly affordable.
- CBDPure’s products undergo third-party lab testing.
- Limited variety of products.
- No flavor options available.
- The company only ships to the US and UK. It does not ship anywhere else internationally.
Different/Other Forms of CBD
It is common for CBD to be extracted from both marijuana and hemp plants — both part of the cannabis plant. Hemp, however, is harvested from the stems and seeds of the cannabis plant, and does not contain the same THC content as CBD extracted from marijuana does.
Currently, CBD laws differ from state to state, so it’s advised for you to thoroughly research what your state laws are pertaining to CBD before you purchase any CBD products. While some states dictate that there can be zero amounts of THC in CBD products, others legally only require that less than 0.3% THC to be in full-spectrum CBD oils. Remember, though, that if you are concerned about drug screening results, any amount of THC can create a positive test result.
There are many different forms that CBD can take. Among them are:
- CBD Oils or Tinctures: CBD oils or tinctures that can be taken under the tongue or added into food or drinks. In beginning to take CBD oil, it’s best to start low and increase slowly. Results and side effects vary from one person to the next.
- Vapes: Vapes are quickly becoming popular. In vapes, CBD extract is inserted into vape pens that heat the oil up to create a vapor that’s inhaled by the user.
- Edibles: CBD edible strengths, like oils, are dosed by the milligram and can take many different shapes from squares, to gummy bears, and more. Some favorites among users are sweet CBD-based desserts like chocolates, cakes, and cookies.
- Pills and Capsules: Pills and capsules allow users to quickly get in their daily dose of CBD. Similar to CBD oils, the pills and capsules come in different strengths.
The type of CBD that you take all boils down to preference. If you have never used CBD before, then your local dispensary staff will be able to assist you in using the product that best suits your tastes and needs. As with any new medication or holistic supplement, it’s advised to speak with your physician before using CBD. Likewise, your doctor can also help you find the right CBD dosing.
How to Use CBD for Sleep
CBD tinctures or oils come in a wide array of potencies. Unlike other natural supplements and medications, finding the right dose of CBD for yourself takes some trial and error. The best way to begin taking CBD is to start low and increase gradually after about a week. Increase a little at a time each week until you have found the dose that’s right for you.
It’s best to go slowly when starting CBD in order to avoid the potentially negative side effects of taking too much CBD is too short of a timeframe. When finding the right CBD for sleep, begin with the smallest dose recommended at night. If your sleep is not improving after a week, try taking a little more. Continue this process each week until you find the dose that is best to help you sleep.
Also, the time you take CBD and how much CBD you take will have an impact on your overall results. As with any supplementation, results will vary from person to person depending on weight, body chemistry, and the cause of your insomnia.
Looking at the Possible Side-Effects of CBD
CBD is considered a safe and effective treatment. It should also be said that it is not possible to overdose on CBD. However, if you have existing medical conditions that you are taking prescription medications for, then it is highly recommended that you talk with your doctor before beginning a CBD regimen. Some possible, and relatively uncommon side-effects of CBD can include:
- Weight Loss or Weight Gain
- Changes in Appetite
These side-effects, however, are rare and mostly related to the overuse of CBD. As with any supplement, use CBD wisely so that you will not have a chance of experiencing any negative side effects.
To that end, using the highest quality CBD products, like the brands listed above, will also decrease your chances of having a negative reaction. In looking for all-natural, clean, highly-formulated CBD products, do not be scared to pay a bit more for them. In this case, the adage, “You get what you pay for,” is applicable.
Firstly, always speak with your primary care doctor before beginning any CBD regimen. Your doctor can answer any questions and address any concerns as well as help you find the right dosage. Second, when finding the right CBD dose, always start low and go slow.
If you are unsure about what type of CBD product is right for you, take the time and do some research by looking into CBD’s different forms and strengths. Before using CBD for sleep or insomnia, first, pinpoint what is causing your sleep issues and then talk with your doctor about possibly using CBD products to treat those issues.
Finally, if you are experiencing any of the side effects listed above, cut back on how much CBD you are taking and call your doctor with how to best move forward. Many sleepless individuals are finding great relief through the use of CBD. Why not experience all of the benefits of CBD for yourself?